Updating your taxpayer identification number

Higher educational institutions, including the University of Chicago, must include students’ taxpayer identification numbers (TIN) on any information returns filed by the institution with the IRS. For most students, this is their United States Social Security Number (SSN) or, if not eligible for an SSN, it will be their Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). 

To update your TIN, follow the steps below:

  1. Print the Substitute Form W-9S and complete parts I, II, and III. Please write legibly.
  2. Return the completed form to:
       Office of the University Registrar
       Attn: Records
       1427 E. 60th Street
       Chicago, IL 60637
       Fax: 773.702.3562

For security reasons, please do not email the completed form or your SSN/ITIN.