Official Name Change

Students who wish to change their legal name on their student records should use the following guidelines to request the change:

  • You must be able to present current official government-issued documentation showing the correct spelling of your new name.  Accepted documentation can include a passport, driver’s license, or court order.
  • You must complete the Change of Name Form.  Please note that when completing this form you should not sign it until you are in the presence of a notary public or a member of the Registrar’s staff.  If you are mailing in your request, you may send it to:

Office of the University Registrar
1427 East 60th Street
Chicago, IL 60637

  • Graduating Students should submit any name change requests to the Office of the University Registrar at least 2 months before they are expected to graduate.
  • Booth Students should refer to their Program Office for instructions on submitting a name change request.
  • Alumni should also contact Alumni Relations to request a name change.  Submitting a Change of Name Form to the Office of the University Registrar will not automatically update your alumni record.
  • Student Employees: students employed by the University will also need to contact HR Services to update their employee record with their new name, as the information is stored on a separate system.